Our Story

Welcome to our site! We are Joanne & Steve. After 20+ years working for a city school department and police department, we sold almost everything, bought an RV, and started living on the road with our three children. Joanne homeschools and works online.
What we have chosen is to live life as unencumbered as we possibly can and to spend time with our family, for our family, and as a family.
This website is a record of our travels. But, we also hope to educate, entertain, and inform others about RVing, roadschooling, and the great places we visit in this country.


Friday, March 16, 2012

Pork and Sauce


Decided on pork chops for dinner this evening.  Since I cannot bake them, I cooked them in an electric skillet.  Started by making a rub of dried oregano, dried basil, onion and garlic powders, and a pinch of chili powder.  Added some olive oil and mixed to a paste.  Seasoned the chops with salt and pepper, then rubbed them with the paste.  Seared both sides for about 5-6 minutes, then let rest.  I wanted to make a sauce so added the only thing I had available, Apple Cider, to the drippings.  A pat of butter, reduced, and poured onto the chops.

One of my favorite shows is Chopped on Food Network.  When I have very little in the "pantry" I pretend I am on Chopped and must make due with what I have.  I have to say, the sauce was very tasty (sweet but not too sweet and just the right thickness) and the chops were tender.  I used to cook the death out of my chops, fearful of undercooking them and poisoning everyone.  I have learned to let the meat rest.  Which, by the way, produced a nice 1/2 cup of fresh drippings that I added to the sauce before it was finished.

I have no pictures.  Probably wouldn't have posted anyway as there was really only one golden-seared chop, so nothing too pretty.  But the real reason is I was so freaking stressed out after cooking (add in 3 microwaved red bliss potatoes and a pathetic attempt at fried biscuits) in a small, tight space with no room, that I had no desire to take out the camera.  I just had Steve pour me a glass and sat to eat.  Luckily, it tasted good.  The kids even ate all of theirs up!  So everyone got a mini St. Patrick's Day cupcake.

My goal...a sauce with every protein.

Do you have a favorite sauce recipe?

1 comment:

  1. If you haven't tried it, try a little fennel on pork chops. OMG good!

    Here's a recipe that I tried once and the sauce was pretty decent. I'm not too much of a sauce person so...

    http://johndlee.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Cook-Thick-Pork-Chops-that-Stay-Juicy

    ReplyDelete

Hello. All comments are moderated. Thanks for reading our blog.