Our Story

Welcome to our site! We are Joanne & Steve. After 20+ years working for a city school department and police department, we sold almost everything, bought an RV, and started living on the road with our three children. Joanne homeschools and works online.
What we have chosen is to live life as unencumbered as we possibly can and to spend time with our family, for our family, and as a family.
This website is a record of our travels. But, we also hope to educate, entertain, and inform others about RVing, roadschooling, and the great places we visit in this country.

Ian's Page


Dr. William Beaumont

As a part of Ian's homeschooling he will be studying History and those who played a part.  Here he will share what he has learned.  We will start with...

Dr. William Beaumont

-Written by Ian Hall
William Beaumont was born in Lebanon, Connecticut on November 21, 1785. His family moved from England in 1635. William was the second born out of nine children. His parents were named Samuel and Lucretia Beaumont. In 1807, William left for Champlain. There, he became the schoolmaster and secretary for the local debating society.
On September 13, 1812, when he was 26, William went into the army as a surgeon’s mate, and was paid $30 a month. In 1813, The British army retreated, blowing up the main magazine in the process. The explosion caused lots of injuries. Beaumont was treating injuries, some that included using a cylindrical saw to cut off pieces of bone, to relieve pressure on the brain. (ouch!)
After the war, Beaumont left the army and began private practice in June, 1815, in Plattsburgh, NY.
There he met Deborah Green Platt. In December, 1819, William went back to the army as a post surgeon. He was sent to Fort Mackinac in Lake Huron. The hospital was in a storehouse. They had little supplies, and no thermometer.
In August, 1821, Beaumont left to go back to Plattsburgh, and married Deborah. They moved to Fort Mackinac, and brought Melancton Smith, Deborah’s 11-year-old step-nephew. Melancton’s father was Colonel Melancton Smith who died in 1818.

On June 6, 1822, Alexis St. Martin was shot  by an accidental discharge of a shotgun in the upper left of his abdomen.  He was shot less than three feet away from the gun. This was at the American Fur Company on Mackinac Island. St. Martin was brought to Dr. Beaumont, leaving the doctor to find the man’s latest meal gushing out of the wound. Beaumont cleaned the hole, but could not keep the contents of his stomach from falling out unless it was bandaged.
On August 1, 1825, Beaumont began to experiment on St. Martin’s stomach. Those experiments included tying string to a piece of food and lowering it into St. Martin’s stomach. After a few hours, Beaumont would take it out to see the extent of digestion. In one experiment, the food was removed after five hours for Alexis had a severe stomachache. The next day, St. Martin still had stomach problems, and Beaumont helped. Six days later, St. Martin didn’t eat for 17 hours (on Doctor’s orders!) so Beaumont could find the temperature of the stomach, which was 100 degrees.
A month later in September, Alexis went back to Canada, got married and had kids, so Beaumont had to wait to experiment on him.
In June, 1829, St. Martin came back to the doctor, but he brought his family this time. However, the doctor was busy and could not continue work until December. When he observed St. Martin on dry days, he saw that the temperature of the stomach increased, and vice versa on humid days. Beaumont would have St. Martin eat a meal, and then would later take out samples of the food and put them in separate vials of water, and gastric juice.  He observed that cold stomach acid does nothing, so digestion needs heat.  He also learned that when Alexis showed anger, it slowed the digestion process.
Near the end of 1832, Beaumont left the army to experiment on Alexis more. Beaumont tried a variety of different foods again, this time including sausage, raw oysters, and mutton. He saw that exercise helped the digestion. In April, 1833, Beaumont published his work and findings in a book called: Experiments and observations on the gastric juice and the physiology of digestion.  A month or so later Alexis left for Canada, and Beaumont went into private medical practice.
Dr. William Beaumont kept up the private practice in St. Louis. In March, 1853, Beaumont was leaving a patient when he slipped on the icy steps and hit his head. He died a month later on April 25, and was buried in Bellefontaine Cemetery in St. Louis.

Samuel Clemens

October 2, 2012

Samuel Clemens a.k.a. Mark Twain

Samuel Langhorne Clemens  was born In a two-room house in Missouri, on November 30, 1835. He was the sixth living child of his  Father and Mother, John and Jane Clemens. John was a Farmer, a lawyer a merchant, and a speculator. Sam apprenticed at a printer’s shop and learned the printing trade. At the age of fifteen, Sam and his friends saw a steamboat coming down the river, thus giving him the wish to pilot one. But the dreaming came to a halt when his Father died on March 24, 1847.

In 1859, Sam became a riverboat pilot. One day, he heard a man yell the depths: Mark twain was one of them. Sam heard it, and in his later years, used it as his pen-name.  He carried on the job for 2 years until The outbreak of the Civil war. Sam left for Nevada and discovered the mining business, which he entered. But, alas, he eventually ran out of money.

Several years later, Twain started writing for a newspaper, and after a few years, wrote his first book: “Jim Smiley and his Jumping Frog.” He fell in love with a woman named Olivia “Livy” Langdon, and married her after proposing twice. They moved to hartford and in 1870, he had his first child, who died at the age of two. He had three more children years later, Clara, Susie and Jean. Twain lectured throughout his life, which earned much of his money.  Twain Wrote the Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn in the house in Hartford, where he said those years spent in that house where the happiest years of his life.

Mark Twain’s house in Hartford, CT.

The Clemens family moved to England, because finances were better there. Several years later, they moved back to Hartford. He continued lecturing and writing, yet his writing showed more anger and emotion. Livy died in 1903 because she had heart problems. Mark Twain died seven years later.
By Ian Hall

Mark Twain House/Museum

Hi! I'm Ian! I'm new to this blog. I just got an i-pad! I haven't used it yet, though. I go on a site, Zimmer twins. I'm that person, harryhall. Zimmer twins is a site where you can make movies. We are going on a HUGE trip. Actually, my dad and I are going to pick up the camper on the 14th. My little bro and sis are turning 4 yrs. old in 5 days. We got Brendan a spaceman suit (dress-up).

I am SO looking forward to the trip, except that we're selling the house. We are going to cousin Jimmy's first, then, who knows? Anyway, when I go with my dad on his and my little trip, we're going to Indiana. We're going to Niagara Falls on the way home! Oh, I almost forgot, the Hoover Dam is on the list  for the big trip.


well, the trip is in full gear, and we're bedding down as I speak. From Ian's journal: day one: Aug. 19, Thursday
Entry 1
A pair of boots are hanging off an electricity line!

Entry 2.
Well, the cb raidio works. (chatter box trucker!)

Hotel: country inn suites

Sunday, August 22, 2010

stuck at RR Crossing heading to Notre Dame and Amish Country

Well, school has started, Hershey was fun, and we're back to routine. Same old, same old. My teacher, Miss Dulude, is supposed to  be strict, but instead, she's nice (so far).

1\3\12      Sorry I haven't been on for a while. As of right now we are in Aces High RV park in CT....... gettin' chilly! It's seeming more like home.  Peace!