A ferry ride from Galveston, TX, to the Bolivar Peninsula brought us to Fort Travis, established in 1898 by the Republic of Texas and finished construction in 1943.
The fort was used by the coast artillery after 25 October, 1899 and was defended by 4 batteries. The firepower used ranged from two 12-inch guns to 3-inch rapid fire guns.
There were 27 buildings including those used as barracks and mess hall.
After the 1900 hurricane, a 17-foot seawall was constructed on the Gulf side of the fort. During WWII, a number of German prisoners were interred there. In 1949, the fort was considered war surplus, and sold. In 1973, the site was purchased for a public park, now called Seashore Park.