Our Story

Welcome to our site! We are Joanne & Steve. After 20+ years working for a city school department and police department, we sold almost everything, bought an RV, and started living on the road with our three children. Joanne homeschools and works online.
What we have chosen is to live life as unencumbered as we possibly can and to spend time with our family, for our family, and as a family.
This website is a record of our travels. But, we also hope to educate, entertain, and inform others about RVing, roadschooling, and the great places we visit in this country.

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Phase II

It has been a crazy couple of months, and thus, the reason I have not posted.  Between school beginning and the decision to place the house on the market this Autumn, time has been non-existant to put thoughts to blog.  So, here is an attempt to catch up.

Let's start with today.  Today we had our first Open House since deciding 3 weeks ago to hire a realtor and list the house earlier than originally planned.  We had first thought to wait until Spring and try to hawk the homestead on our own.  I began a detailed website and even had business cards made (for free through Vistaprint.com).  Soon after speaking with a retired-teacher-turned-realtor friend, I decided that there was much too much to deal with on our own.  So we hired her.  

As I said, today was the first open house.  I have spent the better part of the last two weeks purging to the nth degree, painting, repairing, purchasing, and ripping up carpet.  We had new carpet installed and bought a new bed (since I sold our old bedroom set); through Craigslist, of course.  The house has never looked so good.  Part of me hopes it takes a while to sell so we can enjoy it.

So far, that seems to be the plan.

No one showed for the open house.  

I know that I can't take it personally, but it sort of feels like an insult, as silly as that sounds.  Then again, if I didn't have this deadline, I would still have old ratty carpet, and a king mattress on the floor.  The house is clean and bright and looks wonderful.  

Now I am looking forward to relaxing and enjoying my home.  Yet, there is this nagging pang of dread...what if it doesn't sell?  Another couple who is embarking on the same journey as us just put their dreams on hold due to the market...in California.   The thought of having to give up what we have planned to do is a bit scary; but it is still early.  And, tomorrow we have another open house.  If no one shows again, I have little faith anyone will even ask to see it during the winter.  We bought this house in the winter...maybe someone else will, too.