Our Story

Welcome to our site! We are Joanne & Steve. After 20+ years working for a city school department and police department, we sold almost everything, bought an RV, and started living on the road with our three children. Joanne homeschools and works online.
What we have chosen is to live life as unencumbered as we possibly can and to spend time with our family, for our family, and as a family.
This website is a record of our travels. But, we also hope to educate, entertain, and inform others about RVing, roadschooling, and the great places we visit in this country.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Collecting Wrenches

All along this "process," "adventure," "crazy head trip," we have had several wrenches thrown into the works.   The sale of the house taking so long and selling for so much less than we wanted it to; the "blessing" of Steve's job carrying us to Connecticut and keeping our travels from really starting; being limited to only a couple of choices of campgrounds at which to anchor Eagle until the Spring thaw takes place.

The latest insertion of torque tool has thrown us into quite a spin.  Just as we were getting used to the quaint village of East Lyme, if not the iron-and-chain restrictiveness of our current address, we find that we need to move onto somewhere new.  The reasons for this turn of events I will describe at a later date.  But, somewhere between March 1 and April 1, we hope to  be packing up Eagle and heading to a new campground.

Now, since we have not been overly thrilled with our current accommodations, you might think that moving to a new place would be fine.  Well, it is.  Except for that wrench thing...

Most campgrounds in this area are closed during the winter months. Which means that most do not open until usually May 1.  Maybe  April 15.
We also need to be as close to Mohegan Sun as possible.

Since we want to leave here by March 1, that limits our options.

We found one campground that would work mile-wise and has a wonderful owner.  The place isn't a resort, but it has great amenities...much, much more than where we are now.  We could move in tomorrow if we wanted to as it has winter sites.  (WHY we didn't see this one in October I have no idea!)

Where's the wrench?  Site size. It is an older campground with bumpy roads and lots and lots of tall, bending trees.  When you drive a Dodge 3500 dually towing a  40-foot, 13' 6"- high-ceiling, 8'-wide fifth-wheel with 4 slides (opening to 14' wide) , you can only fit into so many places.

We came across a newer place, still a good spot for Steve to drive to work every day.  A bit more spacious with a gorgeous lake and plenty of families.  Wrench?  Only 4 sites left, which creates a sense of urgency...AND, they open May 1.   So even if we stay put until April 1, we still have a month in question.

Of course, we could probably stay put until May 1, but as of April 1, Spring rates begin, and hike up considerably.   Wrench.

There's another option we are waiting on...

It's going to be a busy night.  Hope we have a big enough toolbox.


  1. Jo, I pray that things work out for you all. I'm sorry you are going through this. But, I know how you have prevailed through all the other challenges of getting to this point, and I know you have the strength to get through over this hurdle as well.

    1. Thank you Jodi. As always, I can count on my sisters. Your prayers did the trick I believe. We found a GREAT campground that is better in every way. We are thrilled and feel that this kick in the rear was just the thing we needed to continue to enjoy our new life! :)


Hello. All comments are moderated. Thanks for reading our blog.