Our Story

Welcome to our site! We are Joanne & Steve. After 20+ years working for a city school department and police department, we sold almost everything, bought an RV, and started living on the road with our three children. Joanne homeschools and works online.
What we have chosen is to live life as unencumbered as we possibly can and to spend time with our family, for our family, and as a family.
This website is a record of our travels. But, we also hope to educate, entertain, and inform others about RVing, roadschooling, and the great places we visit in this country.


Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Tale of a Crapper...continued.

So, let us continue this saga, shall we?

Once the new clamshell was in place, I readily attached the wax ring to the bottom of the new toilet bowl, lifted the tank carefully, and placed it over the flange and johnny bolts, pressing hard to the ground and giving it a little twist to set the wax in place.  Voila!  Success.  Or, so I thought.

After tightening the bolts to the ground, I realized the toilet wobbled from front, to back.  It also was not level...off by a hair, but, still not level.  I attached the back tank and hoped for the best. The best was not within my reach.  Still wobbled.  Nothing I tried would rectify the situation.  After some searching online, I came to the conclusion that the wax ring provided with the toilet was not ideal.  You see...

wax rings come in two different styles.  The traditional wax-only ring, and the newer bell wax ring.



 The bell ring was what I had.  Seems to make sense, allowing for a better fit into the pipe, but when you are dealing with a persnickety flange and abs pipe, nothing makes sense in Toilet World.  So, yet again, dear Steve drove to Lowe's and grabbed a new plain wax ring for me.

Upon waking after an agonizing night of anxiety (will it work?),  we ate a hardy eggs and bacon breakfast, then Steve helped me lift the toilet so I could scrape the old-new bell wax ring and reinstall a new-new plain wax ring, thus, hopefully, allowing the toilet to seat better, stop the rocking, and make it level.

Well, two-out-of-three ain't bad.

With some tightening, she fit, and stayed put.

After some fidgeting with the tank float assembly, thanks to Steve, and a bit of tightening to stop a drip, I was overjoyed to hear that wonderful sound...you know it..say it with me.  "FLUSH."




Now, onto the sink...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. All comments are moderated. Thanks for reading our blog.